Deviled eggs (also known as stuffed eggs, Russian eggs, or dressed eggs) are hard-boiled eggs that have been shelled, cut in half, and filled with a paste made from the egg yolks mixed with other ingredients such as mayonnaise and mustard.
Deviled eggs are also one of the easiest appetizers we know how to make. Today, we’ll show you the easiest, most basic method for these irresistible treats, with plenty of ideas for making them your own.
To mmake the Best Deviled Eggs you need:
- 12 eggs
- 1/4-1/3 c. mayo
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar (red wine vinegar also works)
- 1 scallion (whites and greens), finely minced
- 1.5-2 oz smoked salmon/lox
- Chives, finely minced for garnish
- Dried onion flakes
- Flaky salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Deviled Eggs Instructions :
1) Prepare hard boiled eggs in your favorite method
- 1a) J Kenji Lopez-Alt has a good write-up in the NYT about this – start with softly boiling water, carefully place eggs into hot water, boil 10-11 minutes, peel immediately while still warm OR:
- 1b) Sous vide at 130 deg F for 25-30 minutes, peel warm (no need to vacuum seal, eggs come in a convenient package)
2) Slice eggs in half lengthwise along the long axis, remove set egg yolk into bowl (reserving whites on a towel-lined plate), and mash yolks well with a fork until crumbly. Mix in mayo, dijon, and vinegar, and whisk vigorously to emulsify until smooth, ensuring the mixture can be piped easily (not too runny Deviled eggs)
3) Stir in finely minced scallion, taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Place yolk mixture into a piping bag with a large star opening (or any zip-top bag with a corner cut off will work too).
4) Pipe mixture back into shells, note that the addition of mayo and mustard will allow for you to pipe it above the surface of the cut egg white half
5) Finely slice smoked salmon into thin strips and garnish each egg with smoked salmon, chives, and remaining spices
6) Keep covered until ready to serve, ideally cool/cold.
Enjoy the Best Deviled eggs