Here is the Instant pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe
Check my 9-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker on Amazon.
- 8 (2.5 pounds or 1135g) bone-in chicken thighs
- 5 cups (1250ml) [unsalted chicken stock]
- 1 tablespoon (14g) [unsalted butter or olive oil]
- 1 (380g) large russet potato , bite-size chunks
- 3 (379g) medium carrots , chopped
- 2 (170g) celery ribs , chopped
- 1 (209g) large onion , chopped
- 3 cloves (11g) garlic , minced
- 2 [bay leaf]
- A pinch [dried thyme]
- ½ cup (62.5g) [all-purpose flour]
- ½ – 1 cup (60 – 120g) frozen green peas
- Kosher salt & Ground black pepper
- [Fish sauce or Salt for seasoning]
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley , finely chopped
- Heavy cream (2 tablespoons per bowl)
- Dumplings (can substitute w/store-bought dough)
- 2 cups (250g) [all-purpose flour]
- 1 tablespoon (12g) [baking powder]
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- ¾ cup (188ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) [olive oil]
- Fresh parsley or chives (optional) , finely chopped
Brown Chicken Thighs:
Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More function. Wait until it says HOT. This prevents chicken thighs from sticking to the pot.
Make Dumplings Dough:
While Instant Pot is preheating, mix 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour and 1 tbsp (12g) baking powder.
In a separate container, mix 3/4 cup (188ml) warm milk, 1 tsp (5g) salt, 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil, and 2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter. Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well to form a batter. Do not overmix.
Pat-dry chicken thighs and season skin side with kosher salt & black pepper. Add 1 tbsp (15g) unsalted butter to Instant Pot, ensure the whole bottom is coated with butter.
Add 4 chicken thighs (skin side) in Instant Pot and brown for 3.5 minutes. Season the other side with kosher salt & black pepper. Then, flip and brown for 2 minutes. Set aside and repeat for remaining chicken thighs.
You may also like :
- Instant pot Hot Beef with Noodles : quick and easy beef recipe
- Tortellini chicken soup : yummy soup for winter days.
Saute Onions, Garlic, & Veggies:
Add chopped onions, season with a pinch of Kosher salt & black pepper. Saute onions for roughly 2.5 minutes. Add minced garlic cloves and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. And Add chopped carrots & celery, then saute for 2 minutes. Add 2 bay leaves + a pinch of dried thyme, then let it cook for a minute until fragrant.
Pour in 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock and deglaze by scrubbing all the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Give it a quick mix.
Pressure Cook Chicken and Dumplings:
Add potato chunks, 4 cups (1000ml) unsalted chicken stock, browned chicken thighs + all meat juice.Drop dumplings on top with a teaspoon (they’ll double in size after pressure cooking). With Venting Knob at Venting Position, close the lid and turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
Pressure cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes + Natural Release for 15 minutes. Then, Gradual Release (turn Venting Knob just enough to release pressure slowly) until Floating Valve drops.
Shred Chicken Thighs: Set aside dumplings. In a large bowl, shred chicken and discard the skin & bones.
Thicken Chicken and Dumplings:
Bring the soup to a simmer. Add in 1/2 – 1 cup (60 – 120g) frozen green peas. Stir and break some of the potatoes to thicken soup. In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup (62.5g) all-purpose flour and a few ladles of soup until the flour fully dissolves. Thicken the chicken and dumplings soup to the desired thickness by mixing in the flour mixture one third at a time.
Season & Serve: Return shredded chicken and dumplings to pot. Taste and season with fish sauce or salt. Mix well and serve with finely chopped parsley and heavy cream if desired.
Enjoy your Chicken and Dumplings