Have you tried my grilled Cabbage Wraps yet?
They were stuffed with glutinous rice & kale stems with an amazing smoky flavor from searing the cabbage. No glutinous rice? No worries, many readers have tried other types of rice and they turned out amazing. I normally save my stems for fillings or fried rice, but any veggies would work here. Give it a try and let me know if you have any questions.
- 3 cups cooked rice (used glutinous rice)
- about 20-25 cabbage leaves
- 3/4 cup kale stems, finely chopped (or sub with broccoli stem)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped – optional (used mini King Oyster mushrooms)
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- oil for cooking, salt to taste
- Seasoning: 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari, pepper, 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste.
Grilled Cabbage Wraps Directions :
To make the filling, heat a non-stick pan with oil, then sauté ginger until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook to remove moisture (if any). Add kale stems & continue to cook for about 30 secs, turn off the heat.
Transfer mixture to a bowl, then add carrots, cooked rice & mix well with seasoning ingredients.
Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch cabbage leaves for about 45secs. Remove & quickly plunge them in icy water to stop the cooking.
Place one cabbage leaf on a cleaned surface, remove the harder vein, if needed. Add a heaping spoon of filling in the middle, fold in the sides & wrap to seal. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Heat a non-stick pan with a teaspoon of oil, place cabbage wraps in, sealed side down. Cook until both sides are nicely browned, flipping in halfway. Set aside or serve as-is.
Add the sauce ingredients to a pot or pan, then bring it to simmer & cook until thickened.
Drizzle sauce on the cabbage wraps & serve warm.
Enjoy your Grilled Cabbage Wraps